At Advanced Women's Care of Pittsburgh, P.C. in McMurray, Mt. Lebanon and Caste Village, PA, we offer leading endometrial biopsy services. Endometrial biopsy is a method used to study the lining of your uterus. A sample of lining is taken in the doctor's office. This takes only a few minutes. You may be asked to sign a form giving your consent for this procedure.
We proudly serve the needs of women in these areas: Pittsburgh, Washington, and Allegheny County.
- Endometrial biopsy may help pinpoint the
cause of certain problems. These include:
- Bleeding too often
- Very heavy periods
- Very irregular periods
- Trouble getting pregnant
- You lie on an exam table with your knees bent, like a pap test
- A speculum is inserted into your vagina to hold it open as it is during a pelvic exam
- A small tube is passed through your cervix into your uterus – it is normal to feel cramping
- Your doctor takes a tiny sample of the uterine lining, removes the tube and speculum, and the sample is sent to the lab
If you have a heart murmur or mitral valve prolapse, be sure to alert your doctor when you schedule the biopsy.
- You'll rest on the table until you're told you can get dressed
- For a few hours, you may still feel some mild cramping. This can often be relieved with over-the-counter pain medications.
- You may have some bleeding for a few days. You can wear a pad, but don 't use a tampon unless your doctor says it's OK.
- You may be told not to have sex for one to two days.
- Severe cramping or pain that doesn't go
away with pain medication
- Heavy bleeding (more than a pad an hour)
Contact Advanced Women's Care of Pittsburgh, P.C. today at 724-941-1866 for the McMurray office or 412-942-1866 for the Mt. Lebanon or Caste Village office to schedule your appointment. We have more information regarding these services: menopause, STDs, cancer, abnormal pap smears, cryosurgery / LEEP / colposcopy, birth control and infections.